Saturday, July 04, 2009

The crappy side of Zambia

So.... since the professors have been here it's been a huge roller-coaster. At times, it's been totally awesome. The intellectual climate is great, we're coming up with cool ideas for research all the time, and I'm learning a ton about the academic process. On the other hand, we've worked all the time for days on end, with little appreciation and a large share of time wasted.

Sooo... It's a little frustrating. But, the work we're doing is super exciting, and there's opportunities for me to continue to stay involved with the research, especially on fertility, which is what I wanted out of the whole summer. So I'm hanging in there, content in the knowledge that when the professors leave I can finally go see some animals and Victoria Falls.

I've continued to learn Nianja, and now know how to say "it's very cold today" (Quazezela maningi lelo), which I need, because lately it has been frickin freezing. 40-50 degrees. I still haven't learned celcius, so I don't know the exact temperature. Hopefully we'll soon reach a turning point, and it will start getting warmer. Till then, I'm layering on my climate-inappropriate clothing (short-sleeve jackets over long-sleeve button-downs with skirts and two pairs of nylons? classy.) and huddling under the blanket at night. Send me some New York sunshine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home